Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Ladders are Scary

My middle brother has been making video games for six years. Today I played a game that he designed for a contest to win $50.  Sure it isn't big money but it is a little hard to make a ladder-based mental illness treatment side-scroller. That is the genre that he chose for the contest.

Barnstar for WikiProject Video Games.Image via Wikipedia


The goal of the contest was to create a game that was of a combination of genres. My brother chose the genres:
  1. Ladder based like Donkey Kong
  2. Mental-illness treatment not dissimilar to the objective of psychonauts
  3. side-scroller I shouldn't need to tell you what that is. If I do think "Mario".

He did very well making the game scare the bejeezus out of me. The game, named Ascendaphobia, is about a mental patient who faces his irrational fear of ladders in an area designed to pit patient against fear.  If he doesn't win the contest then it is rigged because I am still shaking.

He got me to finally commit to making games for iPhone and iPad and I actually made my first application today. It wasn't hard and Apple makes it so that I don't have to do any coding. My next step is to design my own basic game for the Mac.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on this post.